Idaho Falls Home Services Specialists

Carbon Monoxide and Heating Systems: What You Should Know

Recently, we helped out a family with a broken heater and a carbon monoxide (CO) detector that kept going off. This is a serious problem, and it was important that we took every precaution possible to control the situation. We gave this family extra time and attention and provided space heaters while we got the situation under control.

We want homeowners to know about the dangers of carbon monoxide and heating systems, and how to prevent potential carbon monoxide poisoning. Read on to learn more and for some important home heating safety tips.

Carbon Monoxide Leaks Are a Scary Possibility

Carbon monoxide is something that is produced during the combustion process that provides heat with gas furnaces and other gas-powered systems. And modern-day furnaces are very secure, making it difficult for CO to leak into your home. However, it is always a possibility.

CO and other combustion byproducts are supposed to vent to the outside of your home through a flue pipe. However, a leak in the heat exchanger that transfers the heat to the air could allow for it to leak into the air you breathe.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, so you might not be able to detect a leak. That’s why it’s so important to take preventative measures.

How to Prevent a Leak

  • Schedule Annual Inspections – Have a technician check on your heating system each year to look for performance and safety issues, and to potentially help improve efficiency.
  • Test CO Detectors – Have a CO detector on each floor of your home, and test them regularly, changing batteries as needed.
  • Replace Older Equipment – Replacing an older heater reduces the chances of a carbon monoxide leak, especially if your system is a couple of decades old or more.

Advanced Home Services is the standard when it comes to providing great service. Call us today to schedule a heating system inspection or service in Rigby, ID.