During the fall, it is important to winterize your sprinkler system to avoid frozen pipes and damaged irrigation components. However, when the springtime arrives, it is necessary to start up your sprinkler system to prepare for warmer weather. Improperly starting your sprinkler system may cause water hammer, which occurs when you turn on the water too quickly. The pressure may cause the sprinkler heads to pop off and the fittings to burst, so it is important to start up your sprinkler system properly to avoid these issues.
In general, there are 5 steps you should take to start up your sprinkler system in the spring. You should:
- Open the main water valve. Opening the main water valve will allow the pipes to gradually fill with water. However, it is important to open this valve slowly to avoid high pressure and water hammer.
- Manually activate each sprinkler zone. By manually activating each zone, you can ensure the system is functioning correctly. This will allow you to spot trouble issues with individual zones.
- Perform an inspection of the system. Once the system is up and running, it is important to conduct an inspection to identify any problems. You should check for low water pressure, as well as proper rotation and adjustment of the sprinkler heads. If there is low water pressure, it may be that a sprinkler is missing, or that the system has a line break. In addition, you should check and clean the filters on clogged sprinklers to help the system run more smoothly.
- Reprogram the sprinkler controller. Once you start your sprinkler system, it is a good idea to reprogram your sprinkler controller to allow for automatic watering. This is a convenient option that will control the water usage. Simply set up the program to water at specific times and days, and keep an eye on it to make sure it is working correctly. This way, you can have peace of mind knowing your yard will get the water it needs even when you aren’t home.
- Check and clean the weather sensor. If your sprinkler system includes a weather sensor, it is important to inspect, clean, and uncover it. This can help ensure your system is functioning as efficiently as possible, and will help avoid water waste during spring and summer.
Advanced Home Services Provides Exceptional Sprinkler System Maintenance
If you need to start up your sprinkler system to prepare for summer, Advanced Home Services can help. We will inspect the system, start it up, and ensure it is fully functional. Our Idaho Falls sprinkler service technicians are committed to your satisfaction, and will work hard to meet your individual needs.
Contact our office today to request an appointment.