The Benefits of a Water Softener
Do you have “hard water?” Do you notice a white crusty buildup around the faucets and drains in your home? Have you detected a slight drop in water pressure developing in your sinks and showers slowly over the years? You may benefit from a water softener. Water softeners eliminate “hard water,” a problem in which there are a number of minerals in the water supply that can damage your plumbing system. Learn more about the benefits of these systems in our guide.
What is Hard Water?
In order to understand why it’s so important for so many homeowners to have a water softener installed in their plumbing systems, you should first know why hard water is such a big deal. Calcium and magnesium, the minerals in hard water, are not really a health concern. But the deposits they leave behind in the pipes, your clothes washer, your sink, your showerhead, and your dishwasher could end up doing a lot of damage. Many people also notice additional effects if the problem is severe, such as a difference in the look and feel of one’s hair after a shower or even the taste of food.
What is a Water Softener?
A water softener is a whole-house water filtration system that works by effectively removing minerals like calcium and magnesium from your water supply. Water softeners contain a brine tank that replaces the minerals in hard water with a very small amount of sodium (not enough to have any effect on your health, in most cases) during a process called ion exchange. This is installed where your water line starts, in order to protect your entire plumbing system.
The Benefits of a Water Softener
- Protects your pipes – When you eliminate the buildup of hard minerals within your pipes, you reduce the risk of creating blockages and causing corrosion. You help your pipes stay in good shape longer, so that you don’t have to replace parts of your plumbing system before it is absolutely necessary.
- Protects costly appliances – Installing a water softener will do wonders for the longevity of your water-using appliances, like water heaters, clothes washing machines, dishwashers, and even your coffee maker!
- Allows soap to lather easily – Calcium can actually interfere with soap’s ability to lather, which is why you’ll often see a residue left behind after a load of laundry or dishes washed with hard water. Softened water eliminates this problem.
- Restore the look of your fixtures, drains, and dishes – Soft water won’t have the same scaling effect on your drains and faucets. Additionally, after a load of dishes, you won’t see spots on your glassware and silverware.
- Brighter clothing – Hard water can cause your clothing and other washables to wear out faster than they would otherwise. Plus, bright colors will begin to fade once they are exposed to hard water. A water softener will help your clothes look better and last longer.
- More refreshing water – Have you ever taken a sip of water from the kitchen faucet to notice a metallic taste to it? Or perhaps you’ve stepped out of the shower to discover your hair feels slimy and your skin feels dry. These are all symptoms of hard water, and issues that a professionally installed and serviced water softener will resolve.
Keep an eye out for any of the above-mentioned symptoms of hard water. Remember, even though hard water doesn’t directly impact your health, it certainly does have an effect on your quality of life and your plumbing system. Without addressing hard water, you’ll be paying more for things like plumbing services, replacing clothing, and cleaning items such as dishes.
Contact the friendly people at Advanced Home Services for water softener installation in the Idaho Falls area. We are the standard when it comes to providing great service.
Customers Are Saying
Noah was fantastic!!! He was very knowledgeable, courteous, and friendly. He kept us in the loop with diagnosing problems and the charges that would come along with it. He was incredible giving us options to best help us in our circumstances. We would highly recommend!Bryan
Amazing service! Everyone I worked with was knowledgeable and professional. Advanced home service always has our best interest in mind. We will continue to use their services for all of our home needs. Thank you all from the diagnosis team, salesman and installation crew. You guys are the best!Frances
I have never encounter someone like Shawn H. He was here for hours at a very low price. Not only was he thorough he was so kind and very considerate. He did an amazing job keeping me informed and I would hire him again if needed... Shawn you are wonderfully amazing. Thank you so much for your time!Penny
Called Advanced Home Services to schedule a routine furnace cleaning. Stewart did a great job and even tagged all our gas and water line so we would know which lines to shut off in case of an emergency. He was very friendly and helpful. I will be calling these guys for any future plumbing and heating issues that may pop up.Shannon
When Robert C came for a routine check found a leak under my kitchen sink. He discovered the main source of the problem and had the time to fix it right away before it became worse. He did a fantastic job and went above and beyond what was required. He was very friendly and so helpful and did a fantastic job.JoAnn